marsupial.ch

loading image - starting @ top of page

A time consuming activity, but better safe than sorry ...

After this crossing the water got deeper: From my knees, the water was soon at my hips and with the ski poles I reckoned it would even reach up to my belly button in places (washouts). The ground was uneven and slippery, I would not be able to see or stick to the ideal line. We decided to call Mt. Dare Hotel again. This time the guy said "Don't expect the water level to drop significantly for 6 weeks (or so). Just continue, you are (almost) through the worst and if you get stuck, I come and get you." He also told me that the section between Dalhousie and Mt. Dare Hotel is still impassible but in contrast to the flooded plains we were facing the water level there should drop within days. He strongly discouraged us from taking any detours "They will get you in more trouble than you think". We were not comfortable to drive on and decided to turn back. The fuel calculation revealed that we should make it to Birdsville: The way back implied a "loss of time", approximately a week until we are in Alice Springs (depending on the roads that we take up to 2300km), but it was more foreseeable than the uncertain way forward or waiting. The guy from Mt. Dare Hotel concluded "Ah, if you have enough fuel to return to Birdsville, this is of course your best bet".