marsupial.ch

loading image - starting @ top of page

The guardian angel got dirty hands and some drops of sweet on his forehead. For a moment it was uncomfortable but not "worst case" ...

We already drove back 180km from the Spring Creek Delta towards Birdsville and camped again. On Sunday morning (day 5) our engine did not start anymore. I checked everything (at least everything an environmental engineer can check with his knowledge about cars), consulted the manual, but I could not make the engine start. We did not have an accident, we had sufficient water, food and shade, but it was "uncomfortable" in the middle of the desert, 300km away from any civilisatioin. The day before we also informed Birdsville about the conditions at the western end so that they could pass on this information to other cars. Now we called Birdsville again to ask if there were still some vehicles coming our direction, which they didn't know. We contacted Birdsville Police to advice us what else I could check on the car or to send someone to help us. They decided that Mt. Dare is still closer to our current location and despite the water in the Spring Creek Delta the guy from Mt. Dare Hotel said that he will make an attempt to cross it - outcome in doubt. In the best case he estimated to meet us on Sunday evening and costs, depending on time, to be between $2000-3000. Willingness to pay was high and we were happy to know that something was happening - this situation showed us that we are not really patient and good at waiting. To our surprise, half an hour later two cars approached. They towed our car to the track and we could easily jump-start it.